Hot tips



The village originated on the foundations of an older settlement from the 13th century called Stará Richnava (Old Richnava). The new village built on old foundations is mentioned in written sources – in the year 1304 under the name Clichnow and in the year 1316 – Cluchnow. It belonged to the castle domain with the administration centre in the Richnava´s castle, that is why the history of the state is the same.

From the year 1336 up to a middle of the 15th century, the estate was owned by the Perényi, then Thurzo and then Csáky families. 

Manor House in Kluknava



There are territories here, which are at the moment under the preparatory process to be declared as protected areas. They include the Vítkovské skaly (Vítkovské rocks), the valleys – Kamenná dolina (Stone valley), in which a waterfall with the height of 15 m is situated, 


The surroundings of Gelnica belongs due to the natural beauty among the most visited regions of Slovakia. Gelnica is the center of the Hnilec valley – surrounded by a
band of forested hills which belong to Spiš Gemer Ore mountains. It lies in the  northeast part of the Slovak Ore Mountains, the alluvial plain and terrace plain of the river Hnilec. Both sides of the river is lined mostly by highlands. The surrounding mountains range reaches the height of  655-1030 m above the sea level. Of these, the most applicable the hill Veľká Kola (1266 m asl), Volovec (1284 m asl) Gold Table (1323 m asl) and Kojšová hola (1246 m asl).

It is situated in the limestone rock called the Girls' Rock at an altitude of 256 m, it is one of the oldest known caves in Slovakia. 


It is a monumental cliff divided by four defect zones into five differently big parts with occurrence of various species of the Carpathian mountain vegetation and fauna, across the area there is the Jasov Rock educational path, 3 km long with seven stops. Its track goes along the south side of the pond by the monastery cemetery, along the serpentines of the old path tracked out by monks across the forest part of the National Monument Preserve Jasov Oak Forests towards the protective walls of the Jasov castle. Further on, it continues through two stops along the walls and returns along the foot of the Jasov Rock on a forest road pass the old stone quarry to the Jasov cave with the last stop.


It is the most known and most visited place in the most eastern part of the Slovak Karsts. This extraordinarily attractive karsts gully lies 3.5 km westward from Turňa nad Bodvou. The gully, which has been declared to be National Natural Preserve, is 2,200 m long; the narrowest places are only 10 m wide. It is deeply wedged in the white limestone of the karsts plains of the Slovak Karsts; sometimes it is deep more than 400 m. The adornment of the gully is a significant stone formation 105 m high named according its characteristic slim shape as Cukrová homoľa – Sugar Cone.


It is a rock tower on the plain of the Horný vrch (Upper Hill). It is above the west slope of the Blatnica valley northward from the Zádiel Cottage. On a rocky spur there is a prehistoric hill-fort fortified by a wall which used to be a seat of people of Kyjatice Culture, the inhabitants were able to process iron.



Zádiel hill-fort Is one of the biggest prehistoric hill-forts in Slovakia. The earth hill-fort in the extent of 55.95 ha spreads in the cadastral areas of the villages Dvorníky and Hrhov. In the Early Bronze Age there were on both sides of the valley built hill-forts with a massive fortification which obvious remainders have been preserved up to now. The Zádiel hill-fort was placed in the south part of the Zádiel plain. From its north mound which stretched vertically onto Zádiel gully across the whole plateau, only a section about 900 m long, 8 m wide and 3 m high has been preserved. The function of this hill-fort was to check the crossings from the Košice hollow basin to the Rožňava hollow basin. It is more than probable that the Zádiel hill-fort was used also in the early historic settlement of this region.


Zemplín mountains are a favorite place for trekking and cycle tourism. We can set off to the area of the Zemplín mountains also on a horse or by a forest train. The villages Pálháza and Kökapu are connected by the oldest narrow railway in the territory of Hungary. In the Zemplín Mountains you can see the tracks of ruins of medieval castles. From afar you can see the ruin of the castle Füzér pulled down at the beginning of the 17th century by the Hapsburgs. In the neighborhood there are precious species of plants.

Another interesting place is the ruin of the castle Regéc. It was built in the 13th century, in the year 1715 it was pulled down by the soldiers of the royal army. On the top above the stream of the river Hornád there is a ruin of the castle Boldogkö Below, in the down area of the castle there is the village with a chateau and regional museum. In the broader surroundings of Gönc there is a ruin of the castle Amadé.